Saturday, February 26, 2011

Interview with Dong Qichang

Question: What is unique about your paintings?
Answer: Many people consider my paintings to be dark. I like to call them real. Life is not a fairytale--there is some darkness in it. Also, there are no humans in my art.

Question: You divided Chinese painters into two different categories. One of these categories was the Southern School. What can you say about the Southern School?
Answer: The Southern School consisted of landscape painters, literati of the Yuan, and Ming painters. These artists were thoughtful men. They read much which led them to the understanding of the world around them. Since the artists of the Southern School were amateurs they expresses their feelings in their art. This is a very good thing.

Question: The other category was the Northern School. What can you say about this?
Answer: The Northern School housed the imperial court painters. They compromised their talents by following a strict procedure. Their paintings weren't art. I prefer the Southern School by a great deal. There is not much else to say on the matter.

Question: What attracts you to painting serious landscapes?
Answer:  As I said before, it is life. Yes, life can have a playful light to it but much of life is also serious. I like to paint the truth. If I am feeling serious, I will paint serious.

Question: Who would you consider one of the greater Ming artists of the 16th century?
Answer:  Most definitely Wen Zhengming! He paints unusual works of art and never stops to wonder if others judge him. This is something I admire as it is not one of my finest strengths.

No comments:

Post a Comment